Monday, August 24, 2009

Too many opinions!

I had a bit of a melt down in the NICU today. I came in after a good nights sleep and gave Alistair a good breast feed of 49ml. Well then the nurse came in talking about topping up with bottle feeding. Everyone has been hinting at bottle feeding. Today the nurse, then the OT, then the lactation consultant all gave me their opinion and advice on the topic still ultimately giving me the choice. But when everyone starts talking about it you start to get swayed. All this didn't just start today either its been for days. So we topped up with the bottle and he took another 50ml in miniutes....literally. That bothered me as if its that easy to feed by bottle why would he put the energy into breast feeding. Anyhow I started to realize I was going away from what I really wanted and I finally told everyone to "back off" and had a little melt down. Anyhow everyone got the hint and it is now charted not to bring that up with Julie again LOL! Sometimes this mama has to put her foot down.....So ya if I bottle fed he'd defintiely get home sooner. So why not you ask? Well with him having one half assed lung I feel if I can breast feed through the winter months he'll gain immunity that formula wouldn't and possibly prevent him from getting some nasty lung infection. Its not that I'm a hippi breast feeding chickypoo its that I passionately believe he'll have a healthier winter in the long run if mama sticks to her guns. Plus whats 2 more weeks or so in the hospital at this stage in the game? I also have no interest in having to pump avery 4 hours for 20 minutes and then bottle feed him throughout the whole winter. I just want to stick him on and be down with it!....Anyhoo this whole experience will make me a lot more empathetic with patients when I'm back nursing. Its flippin FRUSTURATING getting all these opinions. No one actually thought of starting with mine and developing a plan around that! Interesting.....Ok I know its back to the boob topic. Oops sorry pepes but I guess thats where my brain is at these days. I probably think about boobs more in 24 hours than the average man now... Bizzare!.....So apart from all that life is hunkydorry. I've had tons of visitors again which is truly great. Lots of ooooing and awing. Plus lovely little gifts ranging from sweet little outfits to homemade cards and scrummy chicken salads. So cheers people you all keep me sane within my insanity.....K heding to bed soon Cheers Julie

3 comments:

  1. Good for you Julie! listen to your gut and you will be more content with your decision.
    Well have a great day!
    Valerie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Alright momma! Stick to your guns! ummm...I mean stick to your boobs! Sounds like a great winter plan, I mean really... how are you going to keep up to me on the skis if you've got to stop & pump every 4 hours! And I bet no one thought about the frost bite risk factor? Just way to risky....I'm a big Supporter of all the decisions you've made! Keep the good work, it will all pay off!
    Sandra

    ReplyDelete
  3. **Good for you Juels!**
    Thank you for the lovely visit and giving me the honour of meeting your little super hero!!!
    Next time I will have the nerve to hold the little sweetheart!
    I am on a lunch date tomorrow, but call anytime for a visit! xx

    ReplyDelete