Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Skin to Skin




Well that mobile definitely paid off. I shouldn't be surprised after being mandated by a well seasoned nurse. She knew what she was talking about. Ya I was quite amazed really how intently he watched the thing go around and around. Luckily it doesn't sound to painful either ( I have a thing with noisy toys...)Genetics didn't make it today but the occupational therapists came by and refitted Alistairs splints. They definitely put in a lot of attention to them. His middle fingers were contracted to about 90 deg and now they open about 140 deg. So definitely progress. Its like they have to stretch the skin on the palm of his hand as it grew short. Plus the knuckles are a bit stiff. They figure in a year of splints and stretching he should have regular hands. So thats a bonus. They also got talking about getting Alistair into breast feeding. So they figured a good start would be some skin to skin and an introduction to the faucet of the milk maker. I had to pump off first so I'd be "dry". Well flip! I thought I was reducing the supply .....8 bottles later or 560mls later........yes like my bud Sandra said if I were a cow they'd genetically clone me! Anyhooo Alistair seemed quite interested gumming away which is a darn good start considering the situation he's been through. So a couple times a day and he may just get the hang of it all! He had enough after 10min and then we did some skin to skin. Don't know why but the ol' tear ducts wanted to flow but I managed to hold back. Definitely another lovely moment in motherhood. He just seemed to be content using my milk jugs as pillows! lol ...
K enjoy the pics
Julie

3 comments:

  1. Hey Julie,

    These pictures and video were my favorite by far!! The pics of him staring at his mobile and fast asleep skin to skin with Mom brought a smile to my face and had tears instantly streaming down my cheeks! That's so awesome! It's nice to catch up and read that your husband is coming down for the weekend, I can only imagine all the emotions that you deal with on a daily basis.

    Well, I'm off to bed but wanted to send (((Hugs))) to you. Way to go Julie, you are a strong amazing Mom already!

    Trisha

    ReplyDelete
  2. Julie....so glad to hear that you will be breast feeding soon. It really is such a fantastic thing that we ladies get to do!!
    Enjoy!
    Christy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Milk jugs make great pillows!!!!!! haha! Hope you get to come to PG soon! It would be so nice to be closer to Family! And meeeeeeee!! I can't wait to see you guys!!
    xo

    ReplyDelete