Monday, July 20, 2009

ushkabushka! Crocodile Tears






Well today was Alistair's due date and did he ever make it a big day and of course his dad and uncle went for a overnight sail to Saltspring Island so I got to enjoy it all with Grandma Hedges. We got there just after lunch and Jenny, Alistair's nurse, said they were plannning to extubate him around 2pm. So she figured I should have a cuddle before all the goings on. So before I new it I was holding Alistair in my arms for the first time. O my goodness, the crocodile tears just flooded my shirt and little Alistair. Suprisingly enough its not that obvious on the pictures above. But anyhow it was wondeful and I got to hold him for about 45 minutes. It was just such a lovely feeling after only being able to feel his warmth on the palm of my hand from his head over the past 12 days. Then at two the big moment came to extubate. Really a very simple procedure. Just the idea is quite significant and i got to see his whole face without a ton of tubes for the first time. Not too bad looking if I can say so myself. So from 2 till 7pm he managed with just some nasal prongs or a tad of oxygen given into his nose. But unfortunately he had some extensive indrawing(straining where you can see his chest pulls in just around the area of his sternum) Plus they took an xray and his lungs were not inflated as the doc would have liked So just as I left at 7pm for supper he got placed on CPAP. This is just a basic machine that places his lungs under positive pressure to help them stay inflated and provide better oxygenation. The great thing is that he is maintained on the lowest settings so hopefully its a short transitional stage to being support free. The worst part is it is quite the off putting contraption visually. Worse then the vent. Plus they sometimes go back to intubation as the little ones don't cope so well as it proves to be to irritating to them. So its all trial and error. However, when I returned at 11pm he was a tad unsettled but the nurse had just down a bunch of other care and blood gases ( heel poke for blood) So I stayed about an hour and he seemed to settle while I placed my hands once again on his head and chest. so I'm hoping he can cope with just the CPAP and not get intubated again. But whatever shall be shall be.

Supper I have to say was excellent. My friend Carol Ward up in FSJ hooked me up with a kiwi friend of hers, Jan-Louise, that works in the NICU. So she had mom and I over for some scrummy salmon dinner and a glass or two of pinot grigo! It all went down really nicely along with the fabulous conversation. Its just great for the brain to have a chin wag that takes you away from solely focusing on conversation that is 100% about the NICU environment as one can become overly submearsed. If that makes any sense?!??!

Well this girl better head to bed!
Cheerio Julie

6 comments:

  1. So pleased for you Julie, it must be fantastic to be able to hold him at last, made me smile to think of you holding him.
    Love the new photos, hope today is more good news too.
    Lots of love from Lisa, Harold and Emma. xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you have manage to get to cuddle Alistair al last and hope it wont be long before he can have lots of cuddles Love all the pictures you are posting I check the blog every day,
    Take care and hope Alistair contiues to progress well.
    Love toy ou all
    Love Biffo and Ant XXX

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey just got back from Barrhead so I had a lot of catching up to do. You and your little guy look great. Thing sound like they are moving along quite well. Take Care.
    Valerie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Julie,

    Didn't know you could post comments on the blog otherwise would have done it much sooner. I cried when I saw the pictures of you holding your little boy. What a wonderful experience for you, delayed but wonderful....you will have many more memories of you cuddling your bundle of joy. I think of you everyday and a say a little prayer. I am amazed at your demeanor and calm. You are going to be a great mom. We are all thinking of you back here at home and having positive thoughts. We love and miss you my girl. Be good to yourself and take the time you need to feel a bit normal. Will write again soon.

    Val

    ReplyDelete
  5. Praise God! What a big day for all of you! We are continuing to pray for your family! Go Alister!

    Hugs,
    Karen

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey Jules & Alistair

    Glad you're both doing so well. He's so handsome, too! Think of you every day & miss you here at the salt mine. Can't wait to meet the little man in person!
    Hugs
    Maureen
    xo

    ReplyDelete