Monday, July 27, 2009

First Bath with Mom & Off CPAP (for now!)






Well just as I was thinking there was going to be nothing to write about voila I'm back writing again. To my surprise Alistair was still off CPAP when I got to the hospital at noon. I just assumed he would be back on as it can be such a process. But no, he was on high flow oxygen that ranged from 23-25% (thats pretty good!)They also have him in semi-fowlers (like sitting in a car seat) to take pressure off the diaphragm. He still may go back on but just the fact that he has coped for 24 hours is such a big step for our little guy. Plus Alistair loves the fact he doesn't have thsoe plastic tubes jammed up his nostrils. But wouldn't any of us! The other great thing about him being off CPAP is that snuggles are so much more dooable for. Today we got in over 5 hours of cuddling!! I have to say I love it. I totally didn't get this mom and babe bond thing until now. Frick I can and did for 5 hours do nothing but watch him and smell his little head! Maybe thats why my milk is coming in so well! I guess for moms who are having problems with their milk letting down, the nurses will take a blanket that the kid has laid on give it to the mom. Then when she is pumping she's suppose to take it out and lay it on her chest so she can smell it and supposidly it helps with the milk coming in. Interesting! Perhaps all the smelling I did of Alistair while he was vented helped me. I truly would stick my big snouzer to his head and smell him as it was the closest I could get to the little gaffer at the time! He smelled pretty darn good too!

I ended up staying through shift change tonight and Alistair's night nurse asked if I wanted to bath him. So we got another first under our belt. He absolutely loved it. Maryann just got me to stick him right in the water with the warm towel wrapped around him and he was in heaven. It probably reminded him of the extra large bath he created in utero. He then was placed into a nice fresh bed (which we all love) with a warm towel, and as you can see he was happily snoozin!

Well that was a long great day. Now hopefully this darn apartment will cool off. We are all experience a heat wave in BC! Enjoy it before we're at 40 below!

Cheers People
Julie

6 comments:

  1. so exciting! and so cute! i am so happy that everything seems to be heading in a happy and positive direction!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Julie
    I love reading your blog to see how you and Alistair are doing, looks like he did enjoy his bath, his eyes are so attentive. He looks like he has grown!
    Amanda

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Julie
    Lovely photos again, must be such a nice feeling to give Alistair a bath, he looks like he has grown already!
    I love the one of him sleeping in the cot, he looks so cute.
    I love it when I check the blog and you have more news, it's so good to see all the progress.
    Take care,
    Love to you all,
    from Lisa, Harold and Emma. xxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. These pics are great Julie!!!
    What a chubster he is becoming!!!
    Everyday brings such great progress. Can't wait to see him in person.

    ReplyDelete
  5. And again a super blog report.

    Would love to drop by with a fresh saskatoon pie and just chat. Remember to send me yout phone # please. fondly auntie Rosi

    ReplyDelete
  6. HI Juels!
    I have been without internet and have got a chance to catch up on the blog!
    Alistair is getting plump! YAY!
    He looks fabulous! I'm so glad things are moving in the bright direction!! He is gorgeous...isn't motherhood fab!!! You look fantastic too! I can't wait to see you guys..Geno teared up when he saw a clip of Alistair! TTYS xoxo

    ReplyDelete