Thursday, July 16, 2009

Not Enough About Jason!






Hello Hello!

So all along I've been meaning to write specifically about my husband Jason throughout this whole experience. He truly has been an incredible support, husband, and father. From the Sunday that he arrived he has been amazing. He's hugged and held me through emotional break downs, been comical when I need to have my mind averted, and just been present with silence. Even though I told him he should go back to the apartment when I first was induced so he could have a decent sleep he refused. The whole 5 days I was in the hospital Jason slept by my stretcher on the floor on a hard grey mattress. When I was up in the night to express milk he was up cleaning the equipment. When I had emotional breakdowns in the middle of the night he seemed to know what to say and do. During labour was the only time I got a little irritated by Jason. And you know why? Although I'm not a loud labourer he was still able to sleep so soundly on the floor beside me that I had to at first quietly and then yell his name TEN times before he woke. And then he said "I'm hardly sleeping" LOL What a guy! But all through the labour he would get up, rub my back, hold my hand, and just be present. He went with his son Alistair to be at his side as soon as he could but he was back quickly to see his wife off to the OR. When I came out of the OR having my panic attack he was there to support me, rubbing my neck and back while it spasmed. So all in all I am one VERY FORTUNATE WIFE! As I've said in the past we have always been close but this experience has just brought us to a whole other level. (ooo this is making me emotional) But I just wanted to highlight how special he has been to me! - Jason just found out I'm writing about him and said well it shouldn't take you long "JERK is just a four letter word so it shouldn't take you long " LOL what a guy! Love him! (The pic above of Jason eatting is him having his cuban cigar equivalent i.e. a 2lb lobster and a New York Steak!)

Well we had another great day yesterday. We got to the NICU and Alistair had been moved out of his private room to the general population! Like Dr. Singh said "you know what that means don't you!" with a big smile. So yepperoos Alistair is making nice headway. The day before he was barely moving on his own but yesterday he was doing a lot of movement but he refused to open his little eyes. Although he did make a few attempts but who would want to open them and see nice flourescent lights for your first sighting? He was crinkling his forhead, grabbing my fingers, and coughing on the tube in his throat which was all great to see. So perhaps today he'll open his little bitty eyes for mama. Yesterday they had cut his morphine in half again to 25 mcg, he's off the epi, and they're weaning him off the nitric oxice (vasodialator of lung vessels). His system seems to be quite content with all the changes which is great to see. It was also fun to have Grandma Hedges see her grandson for the first time. Was that ever a tear jerker for me too. Another lovely moment. Mom and I spent about 5 hours chatting to Alistair and each other at his side. Ooo one more thing that was great news! They did an echocardiogram (checks his heart function) and all is well! I got the thumbs up from Rosanna, a "fellow" which is a doc going for more specialty schooling (thats my basic attenpt at explaining it!) So that was great to hear as his heart has been somewhat stressed working against his irritated lungs.

Well I had better header to see my son!
Cheers People!
Julie

3 comments:

  1. hay you guys, love to catch the latest news. jason youre a great big star. so pleased that every thing seems to be moving forward safely and and wee alistairs doc`s are all happy!!
    hope to see you soon love gilly,jay, rubes XXXXX

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay Grandma!

    Jason "rocks"! (as my kids would say)

    Soooo delighted to hear all your good news.. . waiting to see those little eyes look at the world.
    Eloise & Jeff

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fantastic to hear that Alistair is still making good progress and giving you something to be excited about each day.
    You sound like you really are lucky to have Jason, we hope we will get to meet him and Alistair one day. But you sound to be coping amazingly well yourself, so guess you guys are there for one another, which is pretty good too.
    And now you have Grandma Hedges with you too, so Alistair will be having more special touches to respond to.
    Hope things keep improving for you all.
    Love from Lisa, Harold and Emma. xxx

    ReplyDelete