Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Self Check


Aren't his eyelashes long! He got that from his PAPA!

11 weeks old today!

Ya you know sometimes it just takes one persons basic comment for you to totally recheck your whole pattern of life you've been trudging along in. On Monday a physiotherapist and her student came out to the farm to assess Alistair and make a plan for his over all development. I was very impressed with the detail and time they spent with Alistair. However, they also focused on me somewhat as well. I asked them what would be an appropriate amount of time to perform tummy time each day. Lynn said to me its not about 30min morning noon and night. The main thing you need to do is remember to enjoy your child and incorporate these things around it. Well you know that almost brought me to tears. As when I stopped and thought about it I have been working from one goal to the next not really taking in the sweet and enjoyable moments of Alistairs exisitence. First it was getting him off of the ventilator and pure survival, then off the CPAP machine and being able to hold him, then seeing if his gastro system would take my breast milk, then off the high flow nasal prongs , then being able to breast feed which was quite the road, then dealing with transfering care which took more of a toll on me rather than him, then sticking with the breast feeding, dealing with regurg, hoping he doesn't get a blood or lung infection all along, hoping the genetics come back free and clear, hoping his hearing and sight tests return normal, keeping all his appointments organized, incorporating all I've learned from the appointments into our daily routine, vaccinating, dealing with a minor reaction, worrying about a severe reaction occuring, ......blah blah blah blah blah. And you know thats been all in the last 11 weeks! But really with all that going on and i'm sure there is a bunch I've missed I have worked from one step to the next thinking if we can just get through the winter without an infection. So as Jason would say "SLOW DOWN!" Thank goodness for him and Mom. Today Mom is going to "babysit" while I spend 3 hours in town on my own doing a bit of shopping. Its nice actually either Mom or Jason takes Alistair after his 6 am feed as he is rambunkshus by then and I get a couple more hours sleep. I really don't know how single mamas do it! ....O I am happy to say that on Monday when we went to the Pediatrician we got there on time! Whooo Hooo that is a true revelation. I'm learning! The appointment didn't go as great as I had hoped as Alistair only gained 65 grams that last week. I knew it wasn't going to be good due to the hot days and vaccination reactions but I was hoping for a tad better than that. He should be gaining at least 140 grams a week. So ya not so good there. But we will see how this week goes. Definitely a lot less regurg which was really bad for 3 days following the vaccinations. After every feed he projectile puked. Not sure if it made him nauseous or what. Anyhow I figure if more stays in the weight should go up. Pretty basic reasoning I think! And thankfully thats happening now ....K well I should get this rear in gear so I can go to town and have a tad "ME" time!

Cheers Peps

PS As you can see I'm going to keep blogging but just not a daily thing. I think it be a pretty boring thing to read if that was the case. Well at least you have to come to the blog to read it so you really can't complain! LOL K Cheers

1 comment:

  1. You really sound like a mama who has fallen head over heels in love!!! Glad you guys are doing well...those vaccinations can really do a number on your head! Been there!!!
    PS When the heck are we going to get together!!!xx

    ReplyDelete