Thursday, September 10, 2009

9/9/9~ DISCHARGED! Whoop Whoop

Yes there is definitely a Whoop Whoop coming from my direction. Alistair got discharged yesterday afternoon which was the 9th month of the 9th year of 2009! 9/9/09! Kinda bizzare that his birthday is 7/8/09 too! Anyhow lots of water has passed under the bridge since the last blog. I believe it was last Saturday he yarded out his nasogastric tube and the staff decided to leave it out for a few feeds. Well he just kept on with the feeding and never got it reinserted. Good man! Between the two of us we figured out this breastfeeding fiasco and now the 15-30 minutes it took to latch take 5-10 seconds!!! Amazing how fast things can change. Today has been our first full day at home and I can't even begin to explain how wonderful it is! He has been a breast feeding champion. I wasn't sure the doc would let us go home as Alistair had been loosing a tad of weight since the NG came out but this doc really believes in getting one out of the institution to recoup and normalize. I have the ability to call on him whenever need be so thats lovely. But I really don't think it will be necessary apart from our checkups. We have to go back in on Monday morning and hopefully he's done some good weight gaining by then or we'll have to put in another NG and do some assisted feeding. I know he's filling the good ol' diapers regularly so thats making me happy. He definitely is taking in his fair share....It just happened that my friend Sandra Whitney came by an hour after we were formally discharged. So she helped me move out all the goods and say adios to the institutional life. We actually hung out and had a coffee and sorted life out prior to leaving. Very relaxed departure. O and he passed his carseat challenge yesterday too which made all the nurses very happy....You just can't believe how wonderful it is for me to have more than one room for us to go to. Today we've hung out in the bedroom, computer room, family room and living room! I put together a bouncy chair for him and hes been contently swatting the dangling toys all day. Its also lovely to say adios to all the hospital protocol stuff. No more weighing diapers and no more weighing Alistair before and after every feed. That was annoying actually as he has reflux. Every time I had to weigh him before and after a feed and 9 times out of 10 he'd have a projectile vomit. Now we just cuddle afterwards and voila we've only had one little misshap today. ....My mom also surprised us with a portable crib so Alistair even had his only little bed last night. So yepperoosy I am one happy camper and I have to say Alistair seems to be quite the happy camper as well. He's been alert and happily vocal all day. I really can't believe we are finally at this point. Its all quite surreal. Its been a bit of a haul but when you consider what he had to get through and where we're at now it is truly a miracle that Alistair is where he is at 2 months of age! Jason was just saying tonight that we were prepared to still be in Vancouver at this stage so this is truly wonderful!....Well I'm sure my happiness is oozing through this blog. This mama had better his the sack though as before I know it Alistair will be calling out for a night time feed.
K Cheers Peps ~ Julie Ooo I added more pictures you'll find them on the two next blogs after this one. Thought I had better swamp you all with pics since I was away from the blog for the past week. Enjoy!

8 comments:

  1. So happy for you Julie, Jason and family. Not a dry eye in this house! YAYYYY Alistair!

    Trisha, Jay, Callan and baby Soren

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yayyyy Julie! I'm so excited for you guys. What an amazing little man you have....and what amazing parents you two will be!! Have fun!
    Christy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice play pen! Grandma has got great taste! So nice to see Alistair tube free. Take care
    Valerie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Absolutely wonderful news. Love Grandma Hedges candy striped socks, auntie Rosi

    ReplyDelete
  5. Woo Hoo from FSJ, too!! I don't think you could have a bigger smile if you tried! Can't wait to meet the little man in person....
    Hugs
    Maureen
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is great news. I am so glad for all of you. Can't wait to meet the little guy. When will you be back home in FSJ?

    Take Care

    Tammy

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congratulations Julie! Enjoy your babymoon outside of the hospital! Kiersten

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, that's all fantastic news, I am really happy for you guys, it must be great to finally be out of hospital. Now you can settle into seeing what life with a baby is really like, and just enjoy it! I love all the pictures, great to see them. Keep enjoying everything and have fun. Lots of love from Lisa, Harold and Emma. xxx

    ReplyDelete