Friday, July 13, 2012

Making up for a Quiet Blog

Wow I had a peek on the blog to see when I had last posted and its been awhile! I got motivated when someone commented that the blogs been quiet. (tx!) Actually, I've been waiting for some pics to be sent to me as we just celebrated Alistair's third birthday along with a lovely baby shower at the house here. But I'll wait to comment on all that once I get the pics forwarded to me.
Alistair and his cousin Rebecca
 Anyhow, because time just got away on me I'm going to upload all sorts of pictures and videos to catch you up to speed. Life has been extremely busy with two kidlets rather than one. I've gone through a whole new learning curve as well. Little Miss Francis is unbelievably fiesty. I swear she's going to burst a gasket sometimes.
 I couldn't believe how quickly she figured out that if I put her down and she howled that mama would have her back in her arms again. At first I thought the poor little munchkin she shouldn't  have to cry as she doesn't know any better. Well about two or three weeks into that things changed as she knew exactly what she was doing! Not that I let her howl endlessly but now I just don't jump to her tune quite so quickly. We still have a ways to go but were getting there. Even when she's content its hard not to just go pick her and cuddle her because she's so darn cute!
 Alistair has definitely taken an interest in her too. I've had him roll numerous times just to get closer to her and check her out. Now I have to watch him as he's into getting up on his hands and knees momentarily and then comes crashing down and that can make for an awful clunking of heads! I actually went out and bought a good piece of high density foam as I notice when we were ever at moms Alistair would be more prone to getting up on his hands and knees.
Alistair and his buddy Walter
So now we have a permanent mattress/play area in the middle of our living room. Its worth it though as Alistair is constantly trying to get up on his hands and knees and explore life from a different perspective. I'm not sure how far things will progress but I can actually see little muscles that have developed on his back that weren't there a short while ago. Every little bit helps.
I think in many ways its been good for Alistair to be left to explore and be on his own. I also think he's just at a new level where he's interested in rolling and see where he can get himself too. This video below is fun as he got ahold of one of Francis's balloons.
 Just yesterday a bunch of us decided to head to the beach. West Lake is only a 20 minute drive from our house (the beauty of Prince George) which is a real treat. Once we got there and were all set up Alistair flaked out and snoozed for 3 hours. I even got myself out on a floatie on the lake for 20min which was glorious.
The only thing with all this that I find difficult is I see all the kids as young or younger than Alistair exploring, swimming, splashing, and horsing around. It reminds me of everything that Alistair can't and will never do. It hurts. But truthfully, I go through a twinge of pain daily. Some days are harder than others, and to be honest I think it is something that will always be part of our daily life .I say this as I've talked to several parents with kids who have higher needs and it seems to be a pattern. Even the parents of teenage kids with higher needs say the same thing. Whether its a major milestone all the other kids are reaching ie getting their drivers license, graduating, first art project, etc... there is always that reminder of what our kids limitations are. But that is life. Our life. 
Plus now with Francis she is already reaching milestones that Alistair hasn't which is a shocker. I jokingly say "she's going to go to Harvard" as its just amazing to me what she can do at times. I really notice such things as her grabbing onto our fingers, easily looking into our eyes and smiling, wanting to put her feet on the floor, lying on her stomach, and the list goes on....
 Anyhow, the lovely thing is we are getting out and about this summer which was my goal for this season and with this incredibly warm weather there is nothing better than being beside a lake!

4 comments:

  1. Great little clips! I am on count down to see you and your family.
    Valerie

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOVE the pic of the two of them sleeping at the beach! So sweet! Also, I swear, a helium balloon gives hours of entertainment to both Finn and Hope. Well worth the couple bucks I'd say! Glad to see you guys are doing well. Hope to see you guys sometime soon!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Julie
    I just love your blog, you do it so well. I am mega impressed that you find the time to do it.
    I love all the photos and clips that you post. My favourite photos I think, are the ones of the two of them cuddled up together sleeping. You have such beautiful children! I am also so excited to see the clip of Alistair with the penguin, he looks to be getting so much stronger, and really interested in things.
    Think of you often, take care.
    Lisa, Harold, Emma and Kelly. xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey, very nice site. I came across this on Google, and I am stoked that I did. I will definitely be coming back here more often. Wish I could add to the conversation and bring a bit more to the table, but am just taking in as much info as I can at the moment. Thanks for sharing.
    Karma Ergo 115 Wheelchair

    Keep Posting:)

    ReplyDelete