Monday, October 5, 2009

3 MONTHS & 5 DAYS~ Reminiscing


Alistair 5 days old with his Daddy & all is equipmentAlistairs very first photograph


Alistair looking Superb at 3months


Hanging out outside in his new suit


Not sure who's enjoying themselves more



Every so often I take a look back at where we've come from and each time it blows me away. One tends to forget the past quite quickly . Whether that is the way the body protects itself or what I don't know but you always hear that mothers forget their traumatic delivery. Well not that my delivery was physically traumatic or difficult but lets just call the first month quite INTENSE! So thats why I thought I'd share a few photos of the first few days just as I find it quite amazing to think that it all took place just over 3 months ago. Unbelievable really. Alistair continues to do really well. Of course he is a good month behind on the milestone side of things but really WHO CARES?! Like the lady said from the Infant Development Program as long as he is constantly progressing that is whats important. ...Its amazing really all the attention he continues to get. At least monthly for his first year he'll be getting home visits from the speech therapist, occupational therapist, physiotherapist, and the infant development program. They all focus on assessing and intervening appropriately inorder to prevent major delays. Its great as they all seem to be realistic with goals and plans. One lady is coming on friday to teach me one on one how to provide therapeutic massage as we can't go to the support group for it. (We're advised to stay away from large groups to prevent acquired infections etc..) So bonus for home visits. Also found out there is a "Toy Library" in town. I guess you can just go and sign out different toys for a alloted period of time allowing one to save money and give your kid some extra stimulation. I thought the library was a great idea....Well yesterday we had a little "Meet & Greet" for Alistair in PG here. It was super nice. A couple of my girlfriends came out plus a bunch of my parents friends that are a lot like family. It was nice just to have a social and show off my little man in real life rather than pictures. Unfortunately I had a brain lapse and forgot to take even one picture!!! Like my friend Sandra said, sometimes its just good not to pick up the camera and take in the whole experience as you can miss a lot looking through a lense all the time. ....Well our last visit to the hosptial went really well. Alistair had only gained 65 grams the week prior and this past week he gained 185 grams!! Yippee. That made mama happy as it fits into the 20gram per day minimum. It was pretty darn obvious on the little guy. His biceps and thighs have gotten a lot more beefy. ....... Breast feeding continues to get easier and easier by the day which is great. He latches quick. He doesn't have to pull off as often due to the high flow of milk. AND there is a lot less upchuckin! ....Alistair is really wanting to get head control now too. He pulls his head up and lets it booble around. He swats frantically at stuff hanging above him. His legs are constantly in motion. When I stand him up he really pushes with his legs and can weight bear. Especially when he's P.O'd!! He's even growing out of some of his sleepers! So yep lots of good headway.....I'm doing well too. Its getting easier and easier for me. I'm getting out of the house more. I'm getting more sleep. I'm visiting some friends. AND I even went and was part of a breast feeding panel. Basically I was asked to share my breastfeeding experience and give my perspective of what health care staff can do, shouldn't do, should've done, could've done, didn't do, and must do. It was quite interesting and there were about 21 people there to share with. One thing that shocked me is that I was asked when I first started to breast feed. Most moms say within 2 HOURS. When I figured it out it was 31 DAYS! Yep 31 days for the first breast feed in which he took for 5 min. 12 days before he was extubated and held by me for the first time. 42 days when he was discharged from Womens to PG NICU. And 21 days in the PG Hosptial. So no wonder the little gaffer will be somewhat delayed!
Well I have been trying to finish this particular blog off for several days so I had better get a postin it!
I'll leave you with a little "Tetley Tea" Theme Song I created for Alistair.
I'm a little Alistair short and stout
Here is my mouth and there's my waterspout
When you tip me over it all comes out
If I don't have a diaper on you better watch out!
(He seems to like me singing this to him!)
K CIAO for now!~ Julie





Swatting his toys. The cow is getting a lot of air time~!


Attempting to wake up!

2 comments:

  1. aww :) hes soo cute! You guys have come so far!!!

    -Kaitlin

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am loving the blog, it is amazing to think how far you have all come, and fantastic to see Alistair looking so happy and getting chubby! Well done to you all! Look forward to hearing more as time goes on.
    Lots of love from Lisa, Harold and Emma. xxx

    ReplyDelete