Friday, March 2, 2012

Lots of Options

Mom has always said that the fact one has options in any aspect of life is basically something to be thankful for...
Looking into this wheelchair accessible vehicle has made me realize we have more options then not. I like to keep sharing what I find out because who knows who takes a peak at this site..... and maybe possibly I will be the one to share it with them first and add to their list of options...
Braun Wheelchair ramps for Vans
  • You can get the ramp installed in a variety of makes and models. Plus they can either be side entry or rear entry. Both have their downfalls and benefits. A couple things to note with getting a wheelchair ramp is you're not allowed and can't tow with the vehicle and your ground clearance is only 6" so look out for those speed bumps. The biggest issue for me though is you can not get AWD or 4 Wheel drive with it as when they do the overhaul they basically gutt the middle.
  • With side entry I've been told its nice for the disabled individual as they are not stuck in the very back as "cargo". So basically they're in the middle with all the family. Also you can get everyone in and close the door and then get organized which makes a difference if you live in the north. However, one of the issues is when you park someone might park so close to you that you can't load and unload without pulling out the vehicle from the parking space.
  • As for rear entry one doesn't have the issue with someone blocking your ramp. If you're in my situation where I'm going to have to take Alistair out of the wheelchair and put him in the carseat ..you have to do that outside of the vehicle from the side door. In addition, if you are having three carseats in the van this option won't work.
Milford Person Lift
Video of Milford Person Lift inuse.
I just heard about this option being available which wouldn't work for us but still is an interesting option out there. You can also get pieces to add to this so you can use it as a lift in your home.
Freedom Seating
  • This is something I'm seriously considering as they now have them compatible with carseats and booster seats. Its amazing as you just push a button and this seat comes out and lowers itself right to the level of a wheelchair. The reason I'm considering this over the ramp is I'm going to have to transfer Alistair to his carseat no matter what as he has such low muscle tone and he's boney that this is the safest place for him. So for me to transfer him inside a van while I'm hunched over is not going to be the greatest option for my back as he grows. The downfall is that I'll have to do this out in the cold and also get a lift for the back of the van to place the wheelchair in the back.....and they aren't the quickest thing out there.
Lifts for the back of your vehicle
  • http://www.freedom-lift.com/index.asp?pageId=105 for some reason I can hyperlink sometimes and others I can't so just click on that if your interested... Anyhow this is one of many lifts available and these particular ones can lift upwards of 400 lbs.
Canopy Lift
  • Now I'm not considering this but this is just cool! I've heard of guys in wheelchairs who have this contraption and go out 4 by 4ing.. They have the freedom lift in the drivers seat, a lift for the wheelchair to get it in the back of the truck and a lift to bring up the canopy...I'm sure this isn't at all cheap but super fun!
Anyhow ....the only place I don't like options is the grocery store. Give me a max of three. NOT 23...who needs 23 options of olive oil to buy?!?! But mind you I've never been a shopper....dislike shopping...so perhaps if I did I'd love the options?!?!
Have a good one! ~ Julie

No comments:

Post a Comment