Tuesday, September 15, 2015

Under one roof

My goodness, once again time flies by and it seems to be going at a faster and faster rate. I had good intentions writing this blog shortly after arriving home. But let me tell you life as a family of five keeps one more than busy. Its chaotic and fabulous all in the same breath.
I really couldn't wait to get everyone under the same roof. It was bizarre but I accepted it that Luella's entrance to the world would be a little beyond the norm. Thankfully with it being drastically less complicated then expected it made the whole transition back home very straight forward. Once we got to the airport I was feeling pretty emotional about bringing us all together. I'm sure the postpartum hormones were helpful with that too! But I was able to suck back the tears and hold it together until we were in the air flying home. I started getting teary and Jason was across the aile from Luella and I. He looked over and said "Whats your problem?". I explained they were happy tears just feeling overwhelmed etc.... His response " Its not like we are going to war or anything!" With that a burst out laughing and abruptly stopped crying. He was right! Plus with the Syrian refugee crisis being forefront with all their lives being abruptly changed it didn't take much to change my tune. That was of course until I saw my Francis behind the airport glass beaming from ear to ear, bouncing up and down, mouthing my name "Mummy, Mummy, Mummy" Then the flood gates opened.
Francis was smiling so much you could hardly see her eyeballs! It was adorable. A couple people had mentioned I should bring her a doll when we arrived home so that she has her open baby doll. Well I told her a brought her a baby doll (not the one in the picture) and passed it to her thinking she'd be delighted. Nope! She grabbed it and stuffed it back in the bag. "I don't need a baby doll!" She said. "I have a real baby sister!"
Alistair was definitely into the whole arrival of a new baby sister. He became quiet and then turned towards her to touch her with his hands. Then the true test was that he tried to lay his feet over her as that's what he does when he wants someone's full attention.


I really couldn't say enough about Grandma and Uncle George. We had done so much planning to have Alistair in respite while we were away. It was potentially going to be a full 16 days that Alistair would be cared for in the respite facility. That just pained me. Not because I don't trust the facilty but he is my little boy and I he had only been in Children's Residence for a max of three nights. With that time period he had been thrilled to get home so I couldn't imagine 16 days.
But sometimes one just has to come to terms with the fact you have to do what is best for the whole family. Anyhow, shortly after I came down to Vancouver, George asked me if it was ok if he tried keeping Alistair at Grandmas for an over night stay. I said of course! Well one night turned into two which turned into six and eventually I just called and canceled his whole stay. It really warmed my heart to know that Alistair was with his sister and family. Plus I could get a blow by blow account of his day if I wanted! Gotta love that I have an amazing brother! 
Francis also stayed with Grandma and Uncle George when Jason came south to join me. She was thrilled that she got to have that many sleepovers with Grandma. Apart from Francis being devasted that my "water hose broke" she did really well with my absence. Some clarity to the "waterhose" my brother had yelled to my mom outside that my water had broken for delivery and Francis took it that my "water hose broke" and burst into tears. Later that day she was happy to hear that my water hose wasn't broken anymore!
 
It was lovely to see how much Francis adored her sister. All the hype of her arrival seemed to meet her expectations. She instantly was hands and beamed endlessly from ear to ear.
The first night Francis asked if she could sleep beside her sister on the floor. So we set up her own little bed and Francis kept reassuring Luella that everything was ok such as the shadows and monsters!
It really made for a wonderful end to the first day of getting all of my clan under one roof. Everyone was so content.

Pictures are worth a thousand words so I will just let the visual speak for itself from here on in. Lets just say we are thrilled to be a family of five!





No comments:

Post a Comment